Celery and Potato Soup Recipe
This Celery and Potato Soup Recipe is creamy and delicious. And with only 44 calories for 1 cup, it’s a great recipe for weight loss!
Celery is highly nutritious, but I’ve never liked eating it raw. Luckily, it’s healthier when cooked! According to Dr. Greger, “Celery contains beneficial antioxidants, enzymes, vitamins, and minerals. Celery actually increases in antioxidant power when it is cooked; therefore, adding celery to vegetable soup, for example, actually boosts the soup’s nutritional value.”
That makes celery a superfood in our opinion, so finding new and creative ways to eat it is a challenge we’re happy to take on!
This soup pairs well with a delicious hearty salad for a nutritious soup and salad lunch, or as a side dish for your favorite main dish.
If you make this recipe, please let us know your thoughts in the comments below. And please share with your friends to help spread the word about healthy plant based eating.
- 5 1/4 cups vegetable broth or water
- 1 small onion chopped
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1 head celery chopped, about 4 cups, save leaves for garnish
- 1 medium potato peeled and chopped
- 1 tsp garlic salt or garlic powder
- 1 tsp dried parsley
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- 1/4 tsp salt or to taste (optional)
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- Peel the potato. Chop the potato, onion and celery. Reserve some of the celery leaves for garnish.
- In a large soup pot heat 1/4 cup of the veggie broth over medium heat. Add the onions and garlic and sauté until onions are translucent, about 3-4 minutes.
- Add the remaining ingredients except the lemon juice and cook until the potatoes and celery are tender, about 15 minutes.
- Transfer the soup to blender or use an immersion blender to puree the soup. Return to the pot (if using a blender) and add the lemon juice. Stir to combine.
Serving size is 1 cup of soup.
Leave a ReplyWant to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!