Chunky Tomato Sauce w/ Vegetables Over Pasta
This Chunky Tomato Sauce w/ Vegetables is an Amelia special. She threw a bunch of vegetables we had on-hand in a skillet and sautéed them with a little vegetable broth. Then we served them over some whole grain pasta. Delicious and easy!
We used 2 pounds of fresh tomatoes (6 medium sized) that we got at the mercado for the “chunky tomato sauce” part. I cored them and cut X’s on the bottom, then brought them to a boil and let them simmer for about 5 minutes. Then I drained them, added cold water to the pot and let them sit for a few minutes to cool. This makes the peels come right off. Then I chopped them up and handed them off to Amelia.
You can also used canned diced tomatoes to save time and effort, but we really like using fresh ingredients and it only takes an extra 10 to 15 minutes.
We used whole wheat spaghetti for our recipe, but you can use your favorite pasta, including gluten free if that’s your thing. Just try to use a whole grain variety.
This is a great one-dish meal or would pair well with a side salad and some fruit for dessert.
If you make this recipe, please let us know your thoughts in the comments below. And please share with your friends to help spread the word about healthy plant based eating.
|4 servings||10 minutes|
This Chunky Tomato Sauce w/ Vegetables was an Amelia special. She threw a bunch of vegetables we had on-hand in a skillet and sautéed them with a little vegetable broth. Then we served them over some whole grain pasta. Delicious and easy!
- 8 oz whole grain pasta your choice
- 6 medium tomatoes peeled and diced (or 2 15oz cans of diced tomatoes)
- 1 small onion chopped
- 1 cup zucchini chopped (about 2 small zucchini)
- 1 cup arugula roughly chopped and loosely packed
- 1/2 cup basil roughly chopped and loosely packed
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp fennel seed
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1/4 cup veggie broth
- fresh basil chopped, to use as garnish
- Heat broth in a large skillet. Add onions and garlic and sauté over medium heat until the onions are translucent, 3-4 minutes.
- Stir in arugula, basil, and lemon juice and cook until greens are wilted, about another 3 minutes.
Serving size is 1/4 of the chunky tomato sauce and pasta.
Leave a ReplyWant to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!