Jackfruit Crab Cakes
These Jackfruit Crab Cakes are a savory substitute for conventional crab cakes. Jackfruit has a mild flavor that takes on the flavors of your seasonings so it’s a good replacement for most types of shredded meat.
The dried seaweed is the key to achieving a seafood flavor and aroma so don’t skip it. We found it in the Asian foods section of our Natural Grocers, and I know Whole Foods carries it too.
The Old Bay seasoning was more difficult to find. We finally found it at a small Asian grocery store not to far from our house. I guess that’s not a popular seasoning in the Denver metro. It’s probably much easier to find in other parts of the country.
Amelia made some delicious Thai Style Sweet and Spicy Sauce to go with these, but you can use your favorite non-dairy condiment.
If you make this recipe, please let us know your thoughts in the comments below. And please share with your friends to help spread the word about healthy plant based eating.
|4 servings||10 minutes|
|Cook Time||Passive Time|
|40 minutes||30 minutes|
These Jackfruit Crab Cakes are a savory substitute for conventional crab cakes. Enjoy with some delicious Thai Style Sweet and Spicy Sauce.
- 2 cans jackfruit in water, drained
- 1 can garbanzo beans drained and rinsed
- 1 medium shallot cut into smaller pieces
- 1 tbsp Old Bay seasoning
- 1 tsp ground mustard
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 2 tsp vegan Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tbsp dried seaweed
- 1 tbsp dried parsley
- 2/3 cup bread crumbs optional
- 2 tbsp flaxseed meal
- 6 tbsp water
- Combine flaxmeal and water in a small bowl. Mix well and set aside to let thicken, about 10 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Place contents from food processor in a large mixing bowl. Add seasonings and flax eggs and stir to thoroughly combine.
- Divide mixture in 8 balls and form into patties.
- If using bread crumbs, place crumbs on a large plate. Place one patty on the crumbs and press gently to coat. Carefully flip the patty and coat the other side. Repeat for all patties and place on a baking sheet.
- Place the baking sheet with the patties in the refrigerator and cool for 30 minutes.
- Remove from the refrigerator and let stand for 5 minutes to warm up the baking sheet slightly.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes or until browned. Carefully flip the patties and bake another 15-20 minutes.
Serving size is 2 Jackfruit Crab Cakes.
Leave a ReplyWant to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!