Popcorn with Lime Juice
This Popcorn with Lime Juice recipe is a great low calorie snack. The lime juice gives the popcorn a delicious flavor with minimal calories and some extra Vitamin C.
For oil-free popcorn, use an air popper (without the butter, obviously). Or, you can make it in a pan on the stove using 1 tbsp of vegetable oil. That adds some additional calories and oil certainly isn’t a whole food, but we haven’t figured out how to make oil-free popcorn on the stove yet. If you know how, please let us know!
We learned about the lime juice trick on a trip to Ecuador. Some restaurants serve popcorn with lime wedges as a table snack. I don’t know why we never thought of squeezing fresh lime juice over popcorn since we love corn chips with lime, but it never occurred to us.
The lime juice gives the popcorn a tangy, almost buttery, flavor. It also gives something for your salt to stick to, if you like salt on your popcorn.
We recommend using organic popcorn.
Popcorn with Lime Juice not only tastes better than the conventional topping, but it’s also much lower calorie and healthier. Enjoy!
If you make this recipe, please let us know your thoughts in the comments below. And please share with your friends to help spread the word about healthy plant based eating.
- 1/2 cup popcorn kernels organic
- 1/2 medium lime fresh or 2 tsp lime juice or to taste
- 1/4 tsp salt to taste (optional)
- For air popper: follow the instructions, omitting the butter.
- For stovetop: add 1 tbsp of vegetable oil and 1 popcorn kernel to a medium pan. Cover and place over medium-high heat. When the single kernel pops, add the 1/2 cup of kernels and cook covered until the kernels have more than 1 to 2 seconds between pops. Shake the pan several times during cooking so the unpopped kernels go to the bottom of the pan.
Serving size is 1/4 cup uncooked popcorn.
Leave a ReplyWant to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!