My first attempt at a Tofu Scramble was a combination of recipes that I found online. Turning a block of tofu into “scrambled eggs” isn’t exactly common sense for someone who’s never done it before so I needed some help.
Some of the recipes were good, but the instructions were really lacking. The cooks who wrote them take for granted that new plant-based eaters need everything explained. That’s what I’ll aim to do here. If anything is confusing, please let me know so I can fix it.
If you serve this delicious tofu scramble to someone and don’t tell them it’s tofu, I doubt they’ll know. It looks and tastes just like scrambled eggs. I like to put some salsa on mine with a side of oven roasted red potatoes and a glass of unsweetened cashew milk. Very tasty.
The turmeric is the key to the scrambled eggs color. A half a teaspoon is all you need for a standard block of tofu. Any more and the tofu scramble is too yellow. Any less and it’s not yellow enough.
Indian or Himalayan Black Salt is another vegan trick ingredient to simulate an egg taste and smell. It contains sulfur and actually smells like hard boiled eggs. Indian Black Salt is different than Hawaiian Black Salt or Black Lava Salt so you can’t interchange the two.
If you make this recipe, please let us know your thoughts in the comments below. And please share with your friends to help spread the word about healthy plant based eating.
- 14 oz tofu 1 pkg extra firm
- 1/4 cup vegetable broth
- 1 medium bell pepper red, orange or yellow, chopped or thinly sliced
- 2 cups kale rip into medium-small pieces
- 2 tsp garlic cloves minced (3 cloves)
- 3 slices tempeh strips chopped into small squares (optional)
- 3 tbsp water to liquefy the seasonings
- 1/2 tsp black salt or regular salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp turmeric
- Drain the tofu over the sink to get as much water out as possible. Place a cheesecloth or double paper towel on a plate or cutting board. Put the tofu brick on one side of the towel and fold the towel over the tofu to cover it. Place a heavy pan or object on top of the tofu to press it. This will squeeze more of the water out. Let it stand while you're preparing the other ingredients.
- Slice the bell peppers into slim strips. You can also add mushrooms, onions, shallots or any other kind of delicious veggies. Don't go overboard with the quantity unless you adjust the seasoning amounts or it won't taste as good.
- Cut the tempeh into small squares. Set aside.
Serving size is about a cup.
“Cut the tempeh into small squares. Set aside. Skip this to make the recipe soy free.”
Really? all the tofu I’ve ever come across is made from soy beans.
Haha! Thanks for pointing that out! We removed that line and the soy free and label. Not sure how we didn’t catch that! However, we are making our own tofu out of chickpea flour and it’s delicious!