Vegan Lentil Loaf
This Vegan Lentil Loaf is a veganized version of the ever popular meatloaf. The lentils, brown rice and oats make this a hearty and nutritious meal while the generous amount of seasonings give it tons of flavor.
My mom’s meatloaf has always been one of my favorite dishes so after going vegan, it was something I really missed. Thankfully, Amelia figured out how to make a veganized version of meatloaf that tastes a lot like mom’s. That’s one more thing that was easily replaced with a cruelty free, healthy and environmentally friendly alternative!
This recipe pairs well with Green Beans, a Side Salad or Steamed Broccoli for your green dish. To make the meal even more filling without adding a lot of extra calories, try our Easy Polenta recipe, a Vegan Baked Potato or Boiled Potatoes.
If you make this recipe, please let us know your thoughts in the comments below. And please share with your friends to help spread the word about healthy plant based eating.
- 1 1/2 cups uncooked lentils
- 3 1/2 cups water
- 1/2 cup uncooked brown rice
- 1 cup water
- 3 tbsp vegetable broth
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1/2 cup rolled oats ground or bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 2 tbsp vegan Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 tbsp tamari or soy sauce
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp dried basil
- 1/2 tsp dried sage
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup ketchup for topping
- Bring water to a boil in a medium saucepan. Add lentils, reduce heat to low, and simmer for about 45 minutes. The lentils should be very soft.
- In a separate saucepan add the 1 cup water and 1/2 cup brown rice. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and cook, covered, for 40-45 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Chop the onions and mince the garlic.
- Heat veggie broth in a skillet over medium heat and cook the garlic and onions for about 3-5 minutes. Cover the skillet with a lid to prevent the broth from evaporating. The onions should be soft.
- In a large mixing bowl combine the lentils, cooked brown rice, onions and garlic, spices, Worcestershire, tamari, apple cider vinegar and 1/4 cup ketchup.
- Add the ground oats or bread crumbs and mix thoroughly.
Serving size is 1 slice about 1 inch thick.
Inspired by Vegan Lentil Loaf Recipe on TheSpruce.com.
Leave a ReplyWant to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!