Mom’s Famous Vegan Pie Crust
This is my mom’s famous vegan pie crust. Well…at least it’s famous among our family and friends. Even though she doesn’t follow a vegan diet, she has made this exact crust since before I was born. It’s light and flaky and will make any type of pie the hit of the party.
This recipe makes 2 crusts. Use one for the top of fruit pies, or leave off the top and make two pies.
For the cook time, follow the directions on your pie recipe. There’s no need to precook this vegan pie crust.
Try it with a Vegan Pumpkin Pie, Vegan Apple Pie or Vegan Cherry Pie.
If you make this recipe, please let us know your thoughts in the comments below. And please share with your friends to help spread the word about healthy plant based eating.
- 1 3/4 cup flour all purpose (organic is best)
- 1 tsp salt (a scant tsp, whatever that means)
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 3 tbsp water cold
- Combine flour, salt and sugar in a large mixing bowl and mix well.
- Add canola oil and mix until blended. Don't over mix.
- Add 3 tbsp of water and fold until dough cleans the bowl and you see white streaks in the dough. Don't work too much.
- Dampen part of your counter with water and place a square piece of wax paper over it. The water will keep it from moving around while you flatten the dough.
- Take half of the dough and pat it into a circle on the wax paper.
- Peel off the wax paper and mould the dough to the pan. Trim the excess dough around the edge of the pan with a knife and add it back to the other half of the dough.
- Repeat with the other half of the dough.
- Cook according to the pie's directions. There's no need to precook the crust before using it.
Courtesy of my mom.
It does make a good pie crust. The photos of Amelia’s pie look great, she is a quick study.