Vegan Refried Beans
Amelia’s Oil-Free Vegan Refried Beans are so good you won’t be able to stop eating them! They require very little effort to prepare and they’re amazingly delicious.
And did I mention they’re oil-free? That means no empty calories from oil, which is commonly added to canned refried beans.
This recipe calls for canned pinto beans, but it’s also delicious with black or canary beans.
If you’re using Dried Beans, soak them for at least 4 hours, then rinse and drain. Cook over low heat for about 2 hours in enough water to cover the beans. You want the beans to be soft. We usually do this the day before we want to make the refried beans so they’re good to go. You don’t need to rinse and drain your cooked beans…you can use the liquid from cooking previously for your refried beans.
If you make this recipe, please let us know your thoughts in the comments below. And please share with your friends to help spread the word about healthy plant based eating.
|8 servings||10 minutes|
Amelia's Oil-Free Vegan Refried Beans are so good you won't be able to stop eating them! They require very little effort to prepare and they're much cheaper than the store bought varieties since they're made from dry beans.
- 2 cans pinto beans rinsed and drained
- 1 tbsp garlic chopped
- 1 small onion chopped
- 4 1/4 cup veggie broth
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp lime juice
- Chop the garlic and onion.
- Heat 1/4 cup veggie broth in a medium sized pot. Add garlic and onions and cover to steam fry until soft, about 3 minutes.
- Add beans, salt and 4 cups veggie broth or water. You want enough liquid to cover the beans. If you have a lot of liquid leftover from soaking the dried beans, you may need to reduce the veggie broth a little.
- Simmer until the beans are very tender, about 30 to 45 minutes. You may need to add more veggie broth or water.
- Mash with a potato masher or fork and stir in lime juice.
Serving size is about 1/2 cup.
I made tostadas for dinner last night with these. Best refried beans I’ve ever had! Thanks!
Great! Happy to hear you like them so much!